Green electrical power production almost 49% in 2018

Green electrical power production almost 49% in 2018
Of the total 2018 electrical power production, 48.8% came from sustainable wind and hydropower. This reflects a small decline, compared to the previous two years, when more than half of the electrical production was green power

A total of 48.8% of the total electrical production in 2018 was green electrical power; the remaining 51.2% came from the thermal power plants. Hydropower produced 30.7% of last year’s electrical production, which is 2.6% lower, compared to 2017. On the other hand, wind power production set a record in 2018 with 18.1% of the total electricity production.  The relative percentages in 2017 between hydropower and wind power was 33.3% and 17.8%, respectively.

The windfarm at Húsahagi produced 40 GWh in 2018, which is the highest wind power production to date at Húsahagi.

The main reason for the decline in hydropower production in 2018 is a combination of less rain and more freezing weather at the beginning of the year.  The period from January to April 2018 had less rain compared to other years, while at the same time the severe cold weather caused many weeks of freezing.  Thus, no rainwater flowed into the reservoirs because the rain, what there was, turned into ice in the terrain surrounding the reservoirs. In addition, the Faroe Islands experienced unusually dry weather in the second half of May and in the first half of June.

The wheels of commerce and the community are turning rapidly, creating an ever-expanding demand for electrical power. In 2018, electricity production increased by 5.3%; SEV generated 352 GWh of power, the highest production ever in the Company´s history. Electricity production in 2017 increased by a similar percentage, equalling 334 GWh.

Green Days
Hjálp okkum at gera síðuna so góða sum gjørligt - send okkum hugskot ella viðmerking
Send viðmerking