51 per cent of the electric-power production was derived from hydro- and wind-power in 2017. This corresponds to a small increase in electric-power production derived from ‘green’ energy sources compared to 2016, at the same time as the overall electricity consumption increased by 5 percentage points
51 per cent of SEV’s production was generated from hydro- and wind-power in 2017, the thermal power plants produced the remaining 49 per cent. This corresponds to a small increase of 1 percentage point, at the same time as the overall electricity consumption increased by 5 percentage points compared to 2016.
Considering the high rate of activity in the Faroe Islands, which in turn results in a relatively large growth in the electricity consumption, we are very pleased with the progress, Heri Mortensen, Director of Production, states.
Heri Mortensen singles out the wind-power production, which increased 14.5 per cent compared to 2016.
Heri Mortensen stresses that the wind power is much better utilized today. In 2017, which was the first full year employing the battery system, 94 per cent of the wind energy in Húsahagi was harnessed. This corresponds to an increase of 16 percentage points in the utilization of wind energy compared to 2015, which was the first full year the wind turbine park was in operation – but without employing the battery system.
The battery system is, on its own, the main reason for the higher rate of utilization. However, updating and improving the battery system, on a regular basis, is also contributing to the positive development. This is done in collaboration with the wind-turbine manufacturers ENERCON. Our people are also gaining more and more experience employing wind power, which in its origin is a volatile energy source, in the electric power production. These are all factors contributing to the good results experienced by the wind-power section, Heri confirms.
The electric power production generated from hydro-power increased 4,6 per cent in 2017 compared to 2016, which was a particularly dry year in terms of rainfall.
All things considered, it is important to look at the positive development in the green energy production, in the light of the increased electricity consumption. There is no doubt that our practice shows that the wind-power section should be expanded as soon as possible. SEV is ready to install further wind turbines, it is only a matter of starting the invitation to submit tenders, Heri Mortensen, Director of Production, confirms.
The electric power production reached its record high in 2017 when SEV generated 334,3 GWt. This resulted in a 5.3 percentage point increase in comparison to 2016, which saw an electric power output of 317.4 GWt.