SEV Service Desk

The Hydro Electric Power Plant in Botnur

The hydro electric power plant in Botni was the first plant to produce electricity out of water in the Faroe Islands.
 
The plant became functional in 1921, and it was a project of the municipality of Vágur. In the beginning only Vágur received electricity, but this was later changed so that Tvøroyri and other villages on the island could also receive electricity.
 
In 1960 SEV took over the plant, which then belonged to the company Suðuroyar Elverk.
 
The hydro electric power plant in Botni has two turbines – the 1.1 MW Pelton turbine produces energy out of the Ryskivatni lake, and the 2.2 MW Fransis turbine receives its water from the Vantnsnesvant lake.
 
The Pelton turbine is connected to three lakes. The highest situated is called Tindaliðvatn and it contains 50,000 m³ of water. From here the water runs down to the lake Mittvatn, which holds some 300,000 m³. Some 100 meters further down the water runs into the Ryskivatn lake, which contains some 400,000 m³.
 
The built walls are made out of rocks with clay in the centre as a sealant. A 15 centimetre concrete wall was added to the wall in Ryskivatn in 1994. When water goes from Ryskivatn it does so through a 1.5 meter diameter tunnel, the first ever to be built in the Faroes. From there the water runs through steel pipes, built in 2000, before reaching the turbine.
 
The waste area is 2.4 km².
 
When the island Suðuroy had become part of SEV, the plant was extended in order to take water from the east as well.
 
A new energy plant containing two turbines was built by the seaside.

A 180 meter wall was built by the Vatnsnesvatn lake, which holds some 1 million m³. It is made out of concrete, as well as rocks on one side.
 
The waste area is 4,7 km².
 
 
Unit Turbine Generator Year Effect Height of fall Water capacity Average production
  Make Make   MW m m³/second with 1/1weight MWh/year
1 Pelton/Voith
Siemens 1965 1,1 250 0,62 1869
2 Francis/Voith Siemens 1965 2,2 180 1,7 2760
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
                              
The energy plant in Botnur.    The Francis turbine.              The Pelton turbine.